Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Perfect Weekend

I've just had a perfect weekend.

I know that's a big call. Perfection isn't easily attained. A whole host of variables have to align the right way. But I would say that the weekend's perfection hinged on just one variable which made all the others appear to fall into place.


This person came home. 

Just for a flying visit. A friend's engagement party.

 It was so nice to have my whole family back together even if it was just for a weekend. We decided (well, really it was just me who decided and the boys humoured their mum) that it'd be nice to walk up Mt Coottha so Sam could see Brisbane from the top.


We set off having no idea how long it would take. I remember walking up it years ago at a birthday party when I was about ten. It had taken ages! And it had been so hard! And so steep! And my legs hurt!!! 

I guess my fitness level has improved a little since then. And my legs have gotten longer. It only took just over half an hour. Half an hour of enjoying the beautiful spring day and watching my man-children walking and talking and enjoying each other's company. They're the moments in life that make my mother's heart happy.


The only thing that could have made the day any better would have been to have had the two absent girlfriends with us. But work and uni commitments don't always make that possible.

  

And then the whole weekend was capped off by getting a visit from these two little guys. My twin great-nephews have a way of making the whole world a happy, funner (yeah, I know it's not a real word) place. There are way more smiles and laughter when they're around - and that's just from the adults.


Sam heads back down to Melbourne today but that just means that the countdown starts for his next visit. A week starting Christmas eve. Just thirteen weeks and two days to go. 



13 comments:

  1. Aw. I love this and I totally get it. Jameson came for dinner and Emily will be here next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for a visit from your son and a full family weekend!!! So funny how our perspective on things changes with age!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... sounds like a lovely weekend and time with family sometimes is all you need.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, this makes me happy Char! Huge smiles for you! It does sound like the perfect weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so great, Char! I'm with you - having the kids around makes me the happiest. Ah, motherhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, sounds like a great weekend! And your grand-nephews are adorable.

    I am a little sad that I didn't visit the Botanic Gardens when I was in Brisbane, but walking up Mt Coottha is probably unwise two days before a marathon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny how long walks seem to have taken as a child - I was just commenting on this the other day! Great weekend - so glad you got to enjoy your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Family time is so needed sometimes! I got to spend some time with my little brother this weekend and it was so nice to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds pretty perfect to me!!
    It would take me about 5 years to walk to the top of my cootha!!
    Your great nephews are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That definitely is a perfect weekend, you can see it in everyone's faces how much they are enjoying themselves.

    Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, get that. Ryan left for college in Montana...miss that little bugger every single second.

    Perfect, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww so many good things here. Happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't mean to be critical but I noticed one minor detail that would have made the perfect weekend even more perfecter. I didn't see any pictures of your cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.