Sunday, August 24, 2014

Slow And Steady

I've had a couple more running set-backs in the last two weeks - just when I thought I was going to get back into it. I got the flu. Like the vast majority of Brisbanites. And once I thought I was getting better I got hit with another round of fevers. Yay!

There has been very little running happening in my world. And the flu made me lose even more weight. Ughh!! Last week I weighed the lightest that I have since I was 13. Skinny is not a good thing to aspire to (although as a 16 year old I would have disputed that). Wallis Simpson was wrong.


You can definitely be too thin.

Being thin and getting over the flu has left me feeling weak and pathetic. Climbing up stairs is an effort that leaves me breathless. It's amazing to think that just two weeks ago I ran a 29k LSD. Fitness is hard to gain and so easy to lose at my age which makes consistency so important.

So this week it feels like I'm starting over. Easy running with good recovery. And a concerted effort to get my weight back where it should be.

I started on a good note with a run yesterday. It was going to be a short easy one. A single digit run. Mostly flat. 

It turned out to be a 10k with a few hills because I felt better than I thought I would. With a couple of breaks because my intestines get confused when I run in the afternoon. Confused intestines are not a runner's friend.

My first pit-stop was only 500m from home. In a toilet that had no lock - as I realised while sitting contemplating the folly of afternoon running. Luckily when someone opened the door I'd already managed to get my shorts up and she was more surprised/embarrassed/horrified than I. 

The second pit stop was only a couple of kilometres later and was more to stop a wardrobe malfunction than anything else. Shorts don't fit the same way when you've lost 5 kilos. Thank goodness for drawstrings.

The rest of the run was as a run should be. And this morning when I got out of bed it felt strangely satisfying to feel the slightly stiff muscles and sore feet. Tomorrow I'm hoping to be back at speed - although there is a certain irony in my use of the word 'speed'. 

I've been here before. Building up again after a lay-off. My body knows what to do. I just have to be patient and it will come. Slow and steady will win this race.

19 comments:

  1. Oh, sorry to hear you've been sick. I'd be happy to offer you some of my lard if it was transferrable! (If only!)

    As for getting back to peak condition, I'm sure it won't take long at all. A few weeks of good health and good weather and this past month will be a long-forgotten memory!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. Sorry to hear you've been sick. But you're running again so clearly you are feeling better! Hang in there and you'll be back to 100% in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh geez, lady, get well. That's quite a bit of weight to lose by illness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sick is never good...

    Thin is great, and with the amount I eat I can never be too thin!!!

    The pit-stop... once in a race I was running easy with a couple of friends, when I said enjoy then rest of the race I needed a porta potty, it was a little open, so I pull the door open only to see some-one already sitting there... the urge was gone and I joined my friends for the next 20ish km...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, sounds like a terrible time :-( Hope you recover soon and no more set backs xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear you were sick but happy to hear you are feeling better.

    I thought it was just me but it's an age thing: that when you don't exercise regularly you will lose your fitness sooner than a young person. I am starting over again since I didn't do much the past 2 months and I have lost all of my fitness base.

    Take it easy and you will be back at your normal running schedule soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how you feel as I feel I've been "starting again" for almost a year now. But we will be back at the top of our game soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you've been sick! Hope things get back to normal soon, including your weight. Slow and steady is definitely the wise way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't that the truth about our intestines when we get off schedule? Time changes with my trip did a number on mine! Glad you are getting back up to speed. The flu is just awful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bummer you've been sick! Hope you'll be back to your peppy self soon. I need some weightloss but I'll pass o the flu to get it .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry you have been so sick - the flu is never fun!! Glad you are back to running and taking it easy getting back into it - you will build back up fairly quickly because you are strong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about your battle with sickness. It's always a bummer to feel like you have to build everything back you've gained.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's no fun being sick. Hope the sickness stays away now! Eat some of those cupcakes you bake to try to gain some weight back. You don't want those shorts falling off mid run although that could be a funny blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, I feel your pain (minus the weight loss...I found your weight, plus a few others!). I hope you're feeling better soon. One step at a time and you'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will gladly give you my spare 5kg to keep! Enjoy your comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear you have been ill. Don't push too hard, no doubt you'll be up to full speed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Total bummer that you have had the flu! Ech! And I know what you mean about consistency - I hate taking time off because it gets harder and harder to get back to "ground zero"!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry to hear you have been unwell, but good for you for getting back on track. I have the opposite problems. I've been recovering from surgery, and despite throwing up most of my medication and not having an appetite, I've put on weight. And my blood pressure has gone up. Can only think I need to get back to the gym as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.