Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Some Days You Just Need A Bit Of Support

All I can say today is thank goodness for a loving, caring support network.

Yesterday wasn't the best. Some of it was okay. And some was pretty good. But the good bit - speed session at the beginning of the day (please don't tell Coach Chris that speed session was the highlight - it'll go to his head) - was overshadowed by the not-so-good.

Some work stuff. Some family stuff. An inability to just let it all go meant that I went to bed feeling a bit anxious. And I woke up feeling a bit anxious. And then I carried that anxiety all the way round on my run this morning. Like I was carrying a belly full of lead weight. My mind just wouldn't let it go. I was almost hoping that the Botanical Garden Flasher would strike and distract me from the stuff that was happening in my head.

Distraction finally came in the form of two hairy friends. So happy to see me home. Bringing gifts and joy to greet me.


To them I am perfect. Even my sweat tastes good. Especially from my left knee. Although it did make Toby burp.

Then I met up with a friend who just gets it. In one sentence she summed up exactly how my life feels sometimes. Because she's felt it too. And it's so good to know that it's not just me.

From there I hit the shops. To get a birthday card. And to have another coffee because it's likely that today will require additional caffeine. 

Spontaneity led me into a store I hadn't been in yet. The promise of a decent discount led me to the Intimate Apparel section. And despite the most hideous fitting room lighting - my home mirror definitely is kinder than the one I stood in front of today - I managed to procure the kind of support that every female runner craves. Unwavering, firm support that points you back in the right direction when you've lost your way. 

In pretty colours.

14 comments:

  1. Support, I hear you...

    and I beat they look great on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a better day tomorrow. It has been a bugger of a week here too.
    Hairy friends are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know your loyal readers are always here for you, too. But there's nothing quite like a good bit of Lycra. With underwires, no less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the kind of support that every girl needs. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy that you have found all kinds of support lately!!! I hope that all of the stresses start to lighten up some for you - speed work is great but definitely not highlight of the day worthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I found your blog through Angela and Grace's blogs...I wondered if you might be able to help. I have a (small) running blog and have a weekly feature where I interview runners around the world about what it's like to run in their country. Do you think you'd be up for speaking to me about running in Oz?

    I'm so sorry to put this request at the end of a reflective personal blogpost but I couldn't find a 'contact' page!

    Look forward to hearing from you! Cathryn...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you on days like that! I've had a crappy day yesterday: taking notes at a meeting from 9 am till 4.30 pm. First thing I did when I got home was cuddle with Bella and pour a big glass of red wine! Buying things helps too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We can't do it without support... May the rest of the week be great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You remind me I really need some new running bras... love the red one in particular. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad I am not alone if I go to bed with something on my mind or any anxiety it is still there in the morning. Why can't we just sleep it away like my husband does? I am glad you had a good friend you could talk to who gets it. We all probably get it too as we have been there and ironically as I yanked my bra out of my gym bag this morning I thought it was time for some new ones. I am dreaming of a shopping trip with my Mom when in Texas. That would be beyond awesome! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. I got to tell you I love the photo collage on your blog background. I always find myself checking it out....especially that box of goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear you were having a down day and I'm glad you found support - in more ways than one. I love that you got out and about cos I tend to wallow and bunker down which I don't necessarily think is a good thing!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't tell your coach the speed session was the highlight, or next he might make sure it's a bit more painful. Dogs are cool like that - they just don't care about anything but being your friend ... and snacks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.